Seth Topek
Connect with me
Criminal Defense Attorney: Defending the Rights of the Accused and the Incarcerated

    Some people who parole in Texas are from other States or have family in other States that will increase their chances of being successful on parole.  As a result all fifty states including Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and the District of Columbia are part of the Interstate Compact, which allows parolees to transfer from the State of their conviction to another State.  However before a parole can be transferred it must first be granted, if you are trying to help someone with parole please call us at 888-661-5030.  In 2012 there were 3,151 Texas parolees who were being supervised out of State.  Under the rules of the compact at the discretion of the sending state an offender is eligible for transfer and shall be accepted if they:

  1. have more than 90 days remaining at the time the sending state transmits the request
  2. have a valid plan of supervision
  3. are in substantial compliance with the terms of their supervision
  4. is a resident of the receiving state or has resident family who have indicated a willingness and the ability to help as specified in the supervision plan and the offender can obtain employment in the receiving state or has means of support.

    There is no legal right to be transferred to another state.  If applying for a discretionary transfer you want to be able to show that you are more likely to succeed in another state and that you have a history of success in Texas while on parole.  It is possible, though rare, to be released directly to another state by applying within 120 days of release.  If you have a loved in prison that you are trying to help please call us on our toll free number 888-661-5030 or fill out an online contact form.  We have represented offenders with family across the state of Texas and in other states including New York, Illinois and California whose parole plans include moving to another state at the earliest time possible.