Seth Topek
Connect with me
Criminal Defense Attorney: Defending the Rights of the Accused and the Incarcerated

    Please call us for a free consultation at 713-651-1444 if you have questions about whether or not your criminal record can be sealed.  Often people sign a plea agreement and finish deferred adjudication thinking that since they were not convicted of a crime it will not be held against them in the future.  Unfortunately many attorneys either tell their clients this will be the case or imply that it.  Years later you may find that the record is making it hard for you to get a job, get a loan or rent an apartment.  The reason is that the fact that you were placed on deferred adjudication is easily available to the public and unfortunately many employers will hold it against you.

    Fortunately, you may be eligible to have your records sealed from the public.  If you successfully completed deferred adjudication in Brazoria County there is a strong chance you will be able to obtain a nondisclosure, which would drastically limit the number of people able to see your criminal history.  If a judge grants our motion for non-disclosure certain government agencies would still have access to it but it will be sealed from the general public.  Additionally, if asked whether or not you have ever been on probation on a job application the law gives you the right to say no.  

    At Topek and Topek we regularly file motions for non-disclosures and appearing before Judges to convince them to grant the motion.  It is always in your interest to hire a lawyer to file a motion for non-disclosure.  The preparation of the legal documents can be complicated and if you make a mistake the Judge could deny it or it may fail to accomplish the desired results.  Additionally, it is up to the Judge whether or not to grant the motion and having an advocate present to convince the Judge can make a difference in whether the motion is granted.

    If you have any questions about the process surrounding sealing your record in Brazoria County please contact us for a free consultation and case evaluation at 713-651-1444 or fill out an online contact form.


Related Articles


What is Deferred Adjudication?


What's the Difference between a Non-Disclosure and Expunction?