If you have been accused of criminal mischief in Harris County, Brazoria County, Galveston County or Montgomery County you need an experienced criminal defense attorney. Here is a brief explanation of the crime and the possible punishment
If you have been accused of criminal mischief you face devastating potential consequences, including possible jail time and a criminal record, you need to contact an attorney. The most common ways a person commits the offense of criminal mischief are when without permission of the owner they intentionally or knowingly
- Damage or destroy the owners tangible property
- Tampers with the property and causes a loss of value or substantial inconvenience
- Makes marking on the property.
They punishment range is based on the amount of loss.
- Class C misdemeanor if the loss is under $50
- Class B misdemeanor if the loss is over $50 but under $500
- Class A misdemeanor if the loss is over $500 but under $1,500.
- A state jail felony if loss is over $1,500 but under 20,000, less that $1,500 if they property is damaged or destroyed by a firearm or explosive.
- A 3rd degree felony if the loss is over $20,000 but under $100,000.
- A 2nd degree felony if the loss is over $100,000 but under 200,000.
- A 1st degree felony if the loss is over $200,000.
If you have been accused of criminal mischief call us at 713-651-1444. The state must prove that the damage was caused intentionally or knowingly and have proof beyond a reasonable doubt that you were the one who damaged or destroyed the property. We will research the facts of your case to determine if the state will be able to prove these elements. This type of destruction of property or damage to property can happen in many ways and in many different contexts, not all of which are criminal. Depending on the facts of your case we will explore different ways to avoid you having a criminal record that can severely impact your life. If you have been accused of any level of criminal mischief in Houston, Galveston, Fort Bend, Brazoria County or any surrounding county please fill out an online contact form and an experience criminal defense attorney will call you shortly.